Friday, March 30, 2012

Ride #2 Ritter Ranch Park, Palmdale California 3-24-12

Ride #2 Video

Okay on Saturday March 24th I headed out for my second ride on my quest to get back into Mountain Biking. I found a Trail (Fire Roads) that are open to hiking and biking. The Ritter Ranch Park which is part of the Santa Monica Mountain Conservancy. Ritter Ranch Park contains 4,000 acres at the eastern end of the Sierra Pelona Mountains Elevations rise to 5,000 feet in this area. There are several trails and fire roads in this area for riding so I decided to check them out.
 I found Boiling Point Road just off Sierra Hwy in Acton which leads into the Park area. I parked in a dirt area just off Sierra Hwy and got my bike together. First thing I noticed is that the fire road runs right into some fairly large mountains which means this can be quite a climb. I road about  a quarter of a mile up Boiling Point Road and was at the gate for Ritter Ranch Park, there is a sign that clearly states that this is park property which is good to know because I am not out to trespass  on anyone’s property. There is a space for hikers and bikers to go through the gate.
Okay I am on my way and the beginning it an easy uphill but still a bit hard for a really out of shape guy. I had gone about three tenths of a mile and a trail runner coming down went past me. I said Hi and he asked if this was my first time here, I told him yea. He smiled and asked if I was going to the top, now actually I had no idea where I was going but I said yep I am going to the top. He smiled and said well it 3 miles to the top and was a little windy up there as he continued past me. So now I am thinking okay this guy (who looked to be in incredible shape (total Marathon runner) he ran up and is running down so maybe this won’t be too hard. But that smile he gave me when I said I was going to the top had me wondering what I may be in for..
Well I learned fast just what I was in for; I had gone about another third of a mile and was ready for a quick stop to catch my breath (yes I am really out of shape). Okay this was so far a really moderate up hill on a maintained fire road but had some loose spots and ruts from recent rains and as I looked ahead I could see that this was about to really start climbing..


At the one mile mark I knew I was in for a hard ride (Hard only for a out of shape guy) this road was climbing every step of the way so far and I was feeling my lack of stamina. I took a little break at the one mile mark and caught my breath and took in some water. The wind was blowing much harder at this point a rain storm predicted for Sunday the 25th was in the distance. I thought about just heading back down and calling it a day but there is no fun in that so I began the ride to the next mile.
The second mile was even hard for me. The wind was blowing really hard and of course the road got steeper. I had to stop several times on my way to the second mile marker but I made it. There was a sign post with rules for the park area so I set my bike against the sign and took a little break. There were two red tail hawks flying overhead and were either playing or fighting, I am not sure which but what I am sure of it was pretty entertaining. After a little break there was no way I was not going to the top of this mountain. I got on the bike and pushed on.
As luck (my luck) would have it the third mile was absolutely the hardest. Not just because I was tired out (which I totally was) but because of course the road had to be the steepest that last mile. I stopped a few times and walked some but I did make it to the top and wow what a view. To the south I could see into Santa Clarita and Valencia and to the North I was looking at Palmdale and most of the Antelope Valley. I wanted to just kick back and take a break and check out the views and the area but it got cold at the top. The temperature dropped at least 15 degrees and the wind was whipping around, it felt like at least 25 mph and cold so I was ready to head down pretty quickly.

The ride down was pretty fun but has been a long time since I did such a long downhill. I was more focused on keeping the bike under control rather than trying to go really fast. The loose rocks made the bike slide and get a little loose but still a pretty fun downhill. Back at the gate I looked back at the mountain and thought this was fun but a bit of a stretch for an out of shape guy….. 

As Always... 

Try Not To Die..

Have Fun..









2 comments:

  1. We hiked 7.77 miles in this park yesterday. We didn't see the sign from the Mountain Recreation and Conservation Authority. Do you know exactly where it is? In fact, we didn't see any signs anywhere except for the name of the street, Boiling Point, on the closed gate just off of Sierra Highway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hiked 7.77 miles in this park yesterday. We didn't see the sign from the Mountain Recreation and Conservation Authority. Do you know exactly where it is? In fact, we didn't see any signs anywhere except for the name of the street, Boiling Point, on the closed gate just off of Sierra Highway.

    ReplyDelete