Friday, March 30, 2012

Ride #1 Joshua Tree Trail, Palmdale, California




Video from Ride 1

Well on Saturday March 10th I got back into Mountain Biking. I had been a avid Mountain Biker through the 90’s up to 2003. Due to some bad issues I was out of the sport for 8 years. So first thing was to get the bike out of the garage, clean it up and get it serviced. I took it over to Block Bikes in Lancaster and these guys did a great job at getting it ready to ride.

After picking up my bike I was ready to take a ride but it has been 6 years since I have rode out on a trail so I was a little worried about pulling a muscle or getting hurt. I quickly put that out of my mind and went looking for a trail. First place I checked was the Joshua Tree Trail out here in Palmdale. This trail has been closed for some time but I wanted to check it out because it is really close to my house and I used to ride there a lot. Well as I drove up to the gate I noticed that the trail looked open. I saw a woman coming out walking her dog so I asked her if this area was now open again and she told me it was for about 6 months. . I was really excited to here this as now I can go riding on some cool fire roads and single track. I headed back to the house to get my bike and gear and head back over to the trail. The first part of the trail is a ride up to the trail head on pavement (a closed road). It’s a bit of a climb up on the pavement to the trail head and I was surprised I rode up to the trail head without stopping. Okay for some folks that would be no big deal but I have not been on a bike for 6 years and am very out of shape.

  At the trail head I stopped and looked at my choices of trails to attempt this first ride back into Mountain Biking. I started off on a trail that was a climb to the top of a small hill. I made but had to walk the last 15 yards and I was really breathing hard at the top but it felt kind of good. From there I rode several trails to a nice overlook of the California Aqueduct and took a really nice single track back to the car. All in all a really good start to get back into mountain biking.

Try Not To Die..

Have Fun..

No comments:

Post a Comment